Gradatim Club, GFWC
Civic & Community
Gradatim Club of Sauk Centre had its beginning in October, 1895. Nine ladies of the community decided to organize a Literary Society. At the first meeting the name ''Gradatim'' was chosen, meaning ''moving forward step by step''. These pioneers looked forward to helping their community by furthering education, aiding in beautification of their city, and helping to institiue social events.
Mrs. E. G.Lewis, stepmother of Sinclair Lewis, was instrumental in organizing the club. She also assisted in the organization of the Minnesota Federation of Women's Clubs in Minneapolis in 1894. In 1902, she was a leader in forming the Sixth District Foundation. As a member of Gradatim, Mrs. Lewis helped in the establishment of the Sauk Centre Library and other civic projects. This highly esteemed lady, who worked so diligently for her home club and the Federation passed away June 14, 1921.
Today the Gradatim Club of Sauk Centre consists of members who attempt to continue its tradition of furthering education, aiding our city and helping to institue social events. We try to take our tradition one step further...aiding our fellow human beings, doing what we can in our little corner, and working for the betterment of this, our planet 'Earth'. ~Sumbitted by Mona Kohorst President, October 1994
- To improve social, culteral, and physical environment
- To promote interest in, and appreciation of, the arts
- To become responsible and dynamic leaders in our community
- To expand horizons by meeting friends, stimulating new interests, gaining knowledge, creating awareness
- TO BE OF SERVICE TO OTHERS